Banish Fear! 7 Ways to Boost Immunity Against Pandemic Illness Like Coronavirus in 2020 (TP Not Required)
No doubt the Coronavirus (COVID-19) has affected you or someone you know in some way. Whether your job, school, or health has been affected, this is a time of uncertainty for many.
It may be scary to wonder what’s going to happen, whether you’re worried about the Coronavirus itself or not, just wondering what other people are going to do (like buy up all the stuff you will need soon...TP anyone?) and how life as we know it will change can cause some angst.
In spite of this, there’s a fair amount of certainty we CAN have as long as we take care of our bodies the best we can and work on building up our health in the meantime. And for the long haul, keeping your health in tip-top shape at all times is much better than trying to do it last minute.
Here are 7 ways to build up your health and increase your immunity:
Good news is, you don’t even need toilet paper to do it! :)
1) Eliminate Refined Sugar. Check labels y’all. It’s in so many things! Sugar sidelines your immune system. And since so many processed foods have sugar in them, you really need to read the labels if you’re going to buy any sort of boxed or canned foods. It’s in a lot of nut butters, canned soups and sauces, frozen pizza, bread. It’s literally in just about everything.
If you’re super healthy already, using things like maple syrup or honey once in awhile can be doable. Just don’t overdo.
If you’re really wanting to get a quick reset to balance your gut, steer clear of ANY sweeteners. (Btw, I would never recommend artificial sweeteners. Ever. So toxic!). Even super sugary fruits can wreak havoc on an already-imbalanced immune system, so if that’s you, stick to either no fruits at all or unsweet fruits like Granny Smith Apples, cucumbers, avocados, etc. Next step up is berries as they are less sugary than say pineapple, mangoes, grapes, or melons.
2) Water! Yes, drink it. But also, use it to boost your immune system by taking a hot and cold contrast shower. Hot water (not too hot obvi) for 3 minutes followed by 30 seconds of cold (or cool) water is a great way to increase circulation and build up your immunity. Don’t let yourself stay cold though. Get out and dry off quickly then wrap up in a warm robe or get dressed to keep your body heat in. Also, if you’re already feeling puny, this may not be the way to go for you.
3) Just Breathe. Blue skies in, gray skies out. In through your nose…all the way in till you can’t possibly breathe in anymore. Then out through your mouth and hold it out for a count of 5 or so before breathing in again. Try that several times in a row at least twice per day. Better yet, go outside to get some fresh air to breathe. Ah!
4) Add Salt. While drinking water is important, it’s also important to keep your electrolytes/minerals balanced. While you can buy trace minerals from a supplement store, it’s easier to just eat a pinch (or more) of Celtic Sea Salt or Pink Himalayan Salt with each glass of water. It’s essentially the undiluted version of the trace minerals.
5) Protect Your Skin. Your skin has a big job in protecting your entire body from bad stuff, so if we take care of it, it will take care of us. Dressing in even layers for even circulation, keeping your skin covered in stores (to keep toxins and germs off), and giving it a bit of vitamin D (sunlight) each day will work wonders to protect your body and keep it healthy.
6) Raw Garlic. This is my go-to when I'm feeling a little rotten already. It's an excellent immune-booster (hello glutathione!) and is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral! It's great in hummus (I have an easy recipe if you like), or you can always slice off a bit and swallow it like a pill. Easy-peasy lemon squeezy (oooh, remember the fresh lemon water too!).
7) Hum or Sing! Seriously, studies show that humming (and singing) actually improves your immunity. Plus it lifts your spirits…which, surprise!!.. increases your immunity as well. Good reason to let ‘er rip in the (hot and cold) shower eh?! No excuses.
There are tons of natural ways to improve your immunity not mentioned here (like eating good food and exercising of course), but these are just a quick few to get you started.
Remember, fear helps no one. It's an immune-destroyer. Keep your eyes on the good stuff!